Monday, April 28, 2008

Humpty Dumpty sat on a swing....

Well... This post is evidence that I am pretty much the most awesome person in the world at falling. So on Sunday, April 27th, around 2pm in the afternoon I decide to go to Erika's house to soak up some sun and just relax. Prior to my arrival she asks me if I want to have a life changing experience. And of course I said yes! I mean seriously who doesn't want one of those... Needless to say my life was changed.

After a good hour of sun soaking we decided it was time to change my life. So we call our buddy Whit and me, Erika, and shellie head off to meet Whit out in Mendon. Once we meet Whit we head off in his 1970's Lincoln to a surprise place for an experience that will change my life.

At last we arrive at the surprise!!! It is a giant rope swing! VERY FUN!!!! I have a fear of heights but being the tough guy I am I suck it up and hop on the swing. It has a place to sit on it so its not a big deal the only real difficult part was not letting your feet drag and that was easy.

Then the pride showed up...

Whit decided he didn't want to use the seat for his bum, but instead for his feet. He successfully accomplished this with what appeared to be minimal effort. SO I decide to have a go at it. During my first attempt my shorts some how get caught in the carrabeaner which the seat is attached to and every time i lift my legs to put them on the seat the seat raises up also. Making it impossible for me to successfully complete my goal.

Second attempt....

So with torn shorts I walk up to the jumping off point filled with pride and determination, knowing that I will ride it out this time with no problem.... pride cometh before the fall.... I get an extra good grip and jumped off with rope swing in hand.

The following occurred all with in about six seconds:

Seconds after jumping I realize that my feet are about to drag through the water... SPLASH... so one wet foot not too bad. Then while I was think about my now wet foot I come to realize that the drag from the now wet foot has helped to loosen my grip on the rope. My left hand of its own free will decides to let go of the rope... for this I am now no longer talking to my left hand. Which then puts the full weight of my slim 225 lbs. frame on the grip of the right hand. MY right hand being the smart hand that he is knows better and also bails out.

Take note this whole time I am unsuccessfully attempting to get my feet on the stupid seat... which by the way never happened

With no support from my feet and two hands not holding the rope my body falls to the ground. Right shoulder hits first... it still hurts... and the rest of me follows. Now, don't worry to save face I hop right back up acting like nothing happened. Whit has turned three shades of red from trying to hold laughter in and the girls run over from the small swing to see has happened. I grab the swing shake off some dirt and head back up to try again. My pride was running the show... until....

SPLASH!!! I forget to look where I am walking and I look down to discover I am ankle deep in a stream that is only a foot wide. Thankfully, the hill is all loose dirt and I fell twice trying to get up to the top. This then set my pride packin and prevented me from completely killing myself on a third attempt.

I was covered in dirt/mud, bruised, and embarrassed. I laughed at myself. One because crying would have been pathetic and two it was the funniest thing I have ever done!!!

Needless to say the rope swing and I will meet again and I will be victorious!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I think we might be related...
I SWEAR I have lived this same story.